A warm, clean and peaceful haven in the heart of Bath. Established by Richard and Kirsten Agar Ward in 2000 it has gone from strength to strength and has developed into a vibrant centre for excellence in yoga in the south west.
We offer weekly classes in asana (posture) and pranayama (breath & energy control), and special weekend workshops and retreats. Our online shop sells yoga props and clothing. We also sell Iyengar Yoga books via our online store https://www.yogvidya.co.uk
Our studios are fully equipped so there’s no need to bring anything (though you are welcome to bring your own mat if you prefer).
Join us! Click on the link below or padlock icon above and fill in your name, email ID & choose a password. You’ll then be able to book foundation courses & special events.
To book regular weekly classes you will also need to join as a member of the Centre. We will then allocate you a level and you’ll be able to go ahead and book any class at that level and below. Visitors to Bath don’t need to be members – contact us https://www.bath-iyengar-yoga.com/contact/
Whether you’re new to yoga or an advanced practitioner, we have classes to suit your needs. To facilitate your learning classes are organised as courses and graded into different levels. If you have practised another yoga method contact us for advice:
- Foundation for complete beginners and those with very little yoga experience (membership not required)
- Level 1 for those who have completed an IYENGAR® Yoga foundation course or who have some yoga experience
- Level 2 for those who have regularly practised IYENGAR® method for at least one year
- Level 3 for those who have regularly practised IYENGAR® method for at least three years, who can maintain a steady salamba sirsasana for at least 5 minutes and who know the Sanskrit names of the asanas.
- Level 4 for teachers and other very committed practitioners who can maintain a steady salamba sirsasana for at least 8 minutes and who know the Sanskrit names of the asanas and paranayamas.
- Pranayama breath & energy control for those who have regularly practised IYENGAR® method for at least two years.
- Therapy for those with significant medical issues whose needs cannot be met in regular class. You must first attend a 1:1 class to assess you needs and work out an individualised programme.
Visit the Booking Area to enrol on a course.
Classes are offered on a pre-booked termly or half termly basis. This means we can keep class sizes small and offer you personal attention. It also helps your learning as classes follow a thread over the weeks and can be tailored to the needs of those attending. You won’t be held back because new people come each week; nor will you be left behind because the pace is too fast for you. If there are spaces in a class you may be able to book single classes (pre-booking still required)
Scroll down to the bottom of the timetable page for class prices.
We welcome Iyengar Yoga practitioners who are visiting Bath. You will not need to join as a member but will be charged an additional £1 per class. Pre-booking is still required – please contact us for details.
What to expect
Classes tend to follow the pattern of BKS Iyengar’s Institute in Pune (RIMYI) with level 2 and beyond being taught pranayama (breath and energy control) approximately every four to five weeks.
As at RIMYI all classes commence with a short, quiet period of sitting during which we chant invocations to Patanjali and to the Guru. We ask that you respect this important part of the class by arriving in good time and sitting quietly. All classes end with savasana (relaxation).
One-to-Ones in the Centre or your home for those who prefer it or who cannot make our scheduled classes.
Corporate We can also teach in your workplace, one-offs or regular classes.
We also offer workshops, yoga days & intensives at the Centre and retreats elsewhere. Participating in these is away to deepen your understanding and practice. If you are a visitor to Bath there are many places to stay for all budgets. Here are a few ideas BathAccommodation17
Book Study Group & Gatherings
We have a yoga book group which meets every half term to discuss a yoga text and a yoga sutras study group. These are free for members. We also offer gatherings where we show a yoga film, have talks, social gatherings etc.
We stock a wide range of quality yoga equipment inspired by BKS Iyengar, yoga books and yoga clothing. Available at the Centre and by mail-order.